Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Spring Apples

This was a really fun painting for me.  I liked it enough that I finished it once, looked at it, and then decided to scrape it off and do it again.  Thank goodness I did, because the second one is so much better.  The blossoms were really interesting to paint because there were so many of them and they were so bright.  I tried to have a pretty free approach to painting them, and for the most part I like how they turned out.  Overall I really like how this one all came together.  This is definitely one of my new favorites, but like every other painting, I'll have to see if I feel like this tomorrow.  Most likely I'll find all the flaws in it and want to paint something better.  My mentality is both a curse and a blessing.  I'm always pushing myself to produce better paintings, but its also sometimes discouraging because I expect more or thought I could have done better.  But either way its still a lot of fun.  So here's the painting I call "Spring Apples"

Oil on Panel
9x12
$80







....as compared to my first effort...

Oil on Panel
No longer in existence

3 comments:

  1. Wow, your first attempt is really great, but you're right, I LOVE the second/final piece. And I'm really impressed that you just started and are largely self-taught. I think it's so cool to have an avenue of expression to balance out life. You're very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Craigers! Ya its something I'm very glad I've gotten into lately. It really does provide some unique enjoyment and satisfaction, just like any art someone does. And yes, the second one is a lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic!! I love it! The second one is REALLY good! Would make a great gift...just saying.

    ReplyDelete